Episode 55: A Founder’s Road Trip Through Acquisition with Kevin Wallenbeck Part 2
Nov 17, 2020
Kevin has sold the perfect lifestyle business. But now he must go through the tough pains of transitioning out of leadership in a business he loved into his next phase. In Part two of this two part series, hear about Kevin’s bittersweet transition out of his role as CEO as we explore the different models of business leadership and how Kevin’s Christian faith impacts his work life.
3 Key Takeaways
- Don’t be afraid to bring other people in who have different abilities and skills. We need people fundamentally different from us to succeed and be a team.
- Transitions are hard whether good or bad. Journal daily through every transition as it is helpful to the grieving process.
- It doesn’t matter what you do whether you own your own business or you work in the corporate world but live in a way that reflects well on the time, talents and resources that God has entrusted to you.
Kevin shares about his exit interview at the company he sold.
- Often times when an owner sells their business they leave. Kevin’s goal however, was stay on and work in the trenches, continuing to invest in the company he'd built.
- After a year however, he had built up the right leadership and transitioned out of his company.
What is the process of leaving a business you poured yourself into like?
- Kevin was unprepared for how difficult the transition out would be.
- Daily journaling was something Kevin found very helpful throughout the process of his transition.
- The transition into the new environment did not go as smoothly as Kevin had planned.
*When you bring owners who are moving into a corporate environment, you need someone on the team who can provide guidance otherwise you will lose good people.
Kevin explores his role in business.
- Kevin talks about the systems and processes by which he effectively built teams with organization.
- The team always thought of Kevin as the visionary however, Kevin learned he is closer to being an integrator.
We need people fundamentally different from us to succeed and be a team.
Investing in others rather than just oneself.
- Kevin and his wife Sonya planned for her transition from being a mother into her next phase of life.
- Kevin has worked along with supporting Sonya as she has invested in a Women’s Mastermind and has built a business for helping work with couples and families.
How does relationship with God relate to business
- Kevin speaks to the importance of being a good steward with what God has entrusted.
- The work that Kevin does is centered around the purpose that the Lord has put us on this earth for.
We’re here for a purpose and the work that we do hopefully is a reflection of the time the talents and resources that God has given us.
Resources For You: